Thursday, September 2, 2010

Yoga

Brought to you by a dear friend of mine, Jessica Miller. I have been taking Yoga from her for about 2 years now. I used to not be a "believer" to the benefits of yoga. If I was going to spend an hour exercising then I was going to be running, biking, or aerobics class. You don't burn calories doing yoga, I used to say.... and while that is still true, what you DO build is MUSCLE and the MORE muscle you have the MORE calories you BURN DAILY. And all the other benefits listed below :)

Thanks JESS!!!

I started practicing yoga about eight years ago and it is now my primary form of exercise. I know a lot of people (mostly runners :) who think yoga is too slow or not enough of a workout. Usually this comes from someone who’s either never tried it or hasn’t found the “right” yoga yet. Yoga can be gentle and full of stretching or a difficult workout for even the most seasoned exerciser. What I can promise you is that the addition of yoga to your routine will improve your abilities in your other forms of exercise and decrease your risk of injury. Why? Because yoga provides all of the following:

1. Increased flexibility

2. Improved range of motion

3. Improved balance (also really helpful when we’re old and prone to falls!)

4. Increased strength and muscle tone

Yoga has also been shown to decrease your risk of osteoporosis and heart disease, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and provide anti-oxidant/detoxification benefits. Yoga also improves your posture and relieves stress.

My favorite thing about yoga? My body feels rejuvenated rather than broken down when I’m done! Plus I really like that you get to lie down and meditate at the end. It’s pretty dreamy! (No pun intended because you’re not actually supposed to fall asleep. Although, I must admit that I have. Shh, don’t tell!)

Have I convinced you? If you live in Mesa and would like to try yoga, I teach a free class at the church on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday mornings. Email Britt if you want more info. We’d love to have you join us! Namaste!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Did you really say you don't burn calories in yoga?! You crazy lady. Of course you burn calories in yoga! On average, depending on the type of yoga, you burn 300 per hour! And each workout is adjustable so you can burn more or less depending on how hard you work individually. You're going to scare all these sceptics away before they even try it. :)

jaronmeg said...

Jessica-I agree with you. I definitely burn calories doing yoga. Every time I take a yoga class it kicks my booty! Maybe I should do it 3x a week so I can look as good as you! That's so nice of you to teach for free. Too bad I'm 25 minutes away.